Sunday, October 11, 2009

How much practice would it take to be a good speed skater?

I'm thinking about doing inline skating. I'm 22 and I've tried to skate a little before. I like trying out all kinds of sports and I'm pretty athletic. I'm trying to find a sport that I can be really good at. I've got a sprinters build with big legs and butt. I saw a four year old tear it up and it was amazing how fast she could move for being so small. Any hints? Could someone like me make the Olympics eventually if I trained like crazy?

How much practice would it take to be a good speed skater?
regarding the Olympics


There is no inline skating competition in the Olympics. If there ever is (not likely for the forseeable future) is is unknown if it would be short events, long events, artistic, or a sport (like hockey) on skates.





A number of people have moved from the upper pro level on inline skates onto ice skates and done well in the speed events. Chad Hedric has some medals but not what he was expected to get in the last Olympics.





Regardless of practice amount, only a few elite athletes can ever get to that level. Chad had grown up on skates and had been competing in inline events for many years. He is also one of those exceptional athletes that will kick 99% of the people's butts in anything he tries.





There is also the question if you could ever be that good. No way will any level of practice make me that good but I do know a couple of women (one 30s, one late 50s) that practiced really hard for a year and probably beat more than 90 percent of the men at the Northshore Inline Marathon (www.northshoreinline.com/) which is the largest event in the US. The older one was never an athlete and had only been skating less than a year before she started working out but practicaly killed herself working out that year.





If you already have the fitness from running or bicycling, that will help a lot.





You will need to get someone to teach you the proper skills. This will need to be someone who knows not just how to skate but knows how to teach someone the advanced skills of going fast. There is a lot you can learn wrong on your own if you are planning to do this. Any of the bad habits you learn on your own will have to be unlearned.





I would suggest that you:


Get hold of the book "Speed on Skates" by Barry Publow (http://books.google.com/books?id=d-I0XpV...


Find a local instructor or club to help you get the basic learning done.


Find a local team to practice with. Skating at the level you want is a team sport.


Take advanced lessons from Eddy Matzger (www.skatecentral.com/) or Barry Publow (www.breakawayskate.com/). They both do group training around the US. Eddy just bought a farm and has built an inline skating training facility there.





Then train your heart out.
Reply:Lots.



aircraft

No comments:

Post a Comment