Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How much do inline skate brakes cost (approximately)?

I want to replace my inline skate brake. My skates are Blade X Mercury 4 Senior Inline Skate.


Also, I bought my skates on the 28th Dec. 07 and the brakes have already worn out completely. Is this normal, because I have friends who have skated for a year, and their brakes have hardly worn out?

How much do inline skate brakes cost (approximately)?
I usually see brake blocks for $5-$10 US.


Some brakes wear faster than others.


I don't know where you are but only saw those skates listed in Austrailia. You may have to check with the dealer you bought them from.





However, I would also look to see if the older Rollerblade brake block is a close fit. Other makers sometimes made their blocks very similar and the blocks tend to be available at many places.


Just a couple easy cuts with a knife and they fit Salomon skates.





You may also be stopping faster than your friends. Some people (I'm one of them) love to come up fast and stop fast.


Using your brake block will stop you better and replacing it is cheaper than replacing the wheels that you need to grind down for the other stops. (I do use a t-stop for easy speed control).
Reply:I always take the brake off, as it tends to get clipped in inline speed racing, in fact the new Bont, Powerslide, or Hyper Grand Prix ones, I am looking into, don't even have that annoying, blocky, black chunk of brake on them.





Learn to "T stop", dragging one of your skates behind you on the ground, to where all 4/5 wheels slow you down.





Yes, this wears out wheels quickly and at an angle, but again...no blocky, brake to clip. :D





If you have skated a lot, cince you got them, on rough concrete, sidewalks, or roads...Yes that rate of wear seems normal to me. I would hope no more than $10-$15 bucks for a replacement, if available for your brand.





Skating inline since the early 90's!



C++

No comments:

Post a Comment